How to Accept Bitcoin with Shopify
I’m sure by now you have heard about Bitcoin. All your friends have heard about Bitcoin and their friends. Everywhere you look it’s Bitcoin this and Bitcoin that. We’ll what if you didn’t have to spend your money to invest in Bitcoin?
That’s right, you can easily accept Bitcoin as a payment method on your Shopify stores. There’s no apps or fees or costs to do this. It’s as easy as adding Stripe and PayPal in terms of accepting payment on your site.
Sign up with Coinbase to accept Bitcoin
- Sign up for Coinbase here
- Enter your name, your email address, and a password.
Each of your passwords should be unique. Don’t use the same password for more than one account, even if the accounts are related.
- Click CREATE ACCOUNT.
- You’ll be sent an email containing a link to verify your email address. Click the link in the email, after which you’ll be directed to your new Coinbase account.
- Click the Let’s get started link and follow the remaining steps to complete the account setup process:
Create a Merchant Account
To complete the Coinbase merchant profile setup:
- Click your name in the top right corner of your Coinbase account.
- From the drop-down menu, click Advanced:
- Click Merchants in the top menu:
- Click Open a merchant account:
- Fill out the fields on the Merchant Profile page.
- Click Save Changes.
Connect your Coinbase account to Shopify
While logged in to Coinbase, you’ll need to create an API Key and API Secret. To do this:
- Click your name in the top right corner of your account.
- From the drop-down menu, click Settings:
- Click API Access:
- Click + New API Key:
- Click to choose whether to receive a verification code via SMS text message or a phone call. After you’ve received the verification code, enter it in the text field:
- Find API v1 permissions (legacy) and click show next to it.
- Click the merchant checkbox.This gives Shopify API permissions to create payment buttons and forms, view your basic user information, edit your merchant settings, and generate new receiving addresses. You can choose to give Shopify other API permissions, but they are not required.
- Leave everything else as it appears and click Create to generate your API Key and Secret.
- By default, the Key and Secret have a disabled status and need to be activated. Click Enable to activate them:
- A verification code will be emailed to you. Copy and paste this code into Coinbase:
- Click Verify. The API Key and Secret will now be enabled.
- In a new browser tab, open your Shopify admin.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payments.
- In the Alternative payments section, click Select additional payment method.
- Click Coinbase:
- Return to the browser tab of your Coinbase account API settings. If you closed the tab, click here to sign in again.
- Click your Key to show the API Key and the API Secret.
- Enter your verification code.
- Click Verify.
- In the Shopify admin, enter the API Key and the API Secret from your Coinbase account:
- Click Activate.
Your checkout page will now include an option for visitors to pay with Bitcoins via Coinbase, alongside your other checkout options:
Here’s the full documentation from Shopify’s site showing you how to set it up: Bitcoin and Shopify